Saturday, October 1, 2011

Marathon #4 - Patriots' Day Marathon

Up to this point I have ran 2 marathons, 1 ultra marathon, and 3 half marathons. I decided that I really wanted to run something on September 11th. I decided that I wanted to be around other people and do something useful. I found a local marathon that is organized by a man that was referred to me by another runner.

I contacted him and found out it was not too late to register.

So at 3:00 am on 9/11/11 I headed out for marathon #3.

The run was very small, including only 25 runners completing either a half or full marathon. It was a loop course in Huntington Beach.

I had a great first half. I maintained my goal of less than 11 minute miles. I was able to run comfortably and felt good. That lasted until about mile 19. Something went wrong at that point (the wall?) and I struggled the last few miles. I walked more than I wanted to and just felt out of gas. It was tough.

In the end though, I ended up with a PR of 5:10 and 3rd place overall. 3rd place!! I came home with a trophy and could see the admiration in the eyes of my kids. That is why I run. They think I am pretty cool. I guess at this point, I finally do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment