Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Team Wentlandt Thank YOU

Thursday, August 9th changed us forever.

It started normal enough. I was in Temecula, partying with Mimi at the Disney Store. Brady was at work and Colby stayed at home.

At 4:00 Brady was on his way home when he noticed smoke in what looked like our area. As he got closer, he found out Chihuahua Valley Road was closed. A lightning strike had started 2 fires. He was able to push his way through the barricade, explaining that Colby was at home alone.

I was not far behind him, car full of groceries and a sleeping princess. I got within 5 miles of the house when I was turned back to Temecula. The police officer told me it would be 4 or 5 hours before I would be allowed home.

I called my friends, Jen and Terry Leonard that were staying in Temecula. I figured they wouldn't mind me invading their evening. Terry convinced Costco to hold my groceries for me. Jen helped me load the cart and drag it all back in the store. They also offered up their hotel room for us to hang in and supported me while I worried. Later, when it became obvious that we weren't going home, Terry arranged for us to have a room for the night.

The 4 or 5 hours turned into 4 days. Brady was ordered to evacuate and we were scared, but together. As I posted updates on FB, friends, family, and neighbors came out from everywhere to offer support. We have many thank yous to send out.

- To the firemen and women that worked and risked their lives to save our valley, THANK YOU!

 - To all our friends that sent your well wishes, your prayers, and your support. THANK YOU!

- To all our friends that offered to let us stay with you, we love you for the offer. THANK YOU!

- To everyone that sent encouragement, dug for information when I couldn't, and shared your evacuation stories to reassure me it would be ok... THANK YOU!

- To Ed and Martha Ettinghausen, we appreciate your hospitality so much. We love you guys. Andrea, thank you for giving us your room. THANK YOU!

- To Jen and Terry Leonard, it means the world to us that you got us a room, played with our kids, and were there in so many ways this weekend. We love you for it. THANK YOU!

- To our neighbor Gary, thank you for taking care of Colby, sending us updates, and being awesome! THANK YOU!

- To the employees at Costco, you saved me hundreds of dollars and priceless sanity. THANK YOU!

- To the hotel desk clerk that turned her head while we smuggled our dog past her. You'll probably never know how much that meant to me. THANK YOU!

We are humbled and honored that so many people love us. We hope you never experience anything like we did, but if you do, you can count on Team Wentlandt to return the favor!

2 comments:

  1. How incredibly scary! Happy to hear everyone is fine and you all came away from this TOGETHER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was awful. Thankfully, we got by with a little help from our friends :)

      Delete