A few months ago I saw a post on Facebook about this 10x10 challenge. It requires a runner to travel 10 miles on foot, all at once, 10 days in a row. All miles must be logged outside with a GPS or other tracking system. The reward? An online certificate.
I know. Runners are weird.
On January 26, 2015, I gave it a shot.
At first glance it may not seem like a big deal. I have traveled 100+ miles in a much shorter amount of time and without rest.
So what IS the big deal?
 |
| A little hard to see, but there is a jet in the skies above. |
 |
| Where did all the warm weather go? |
There were a few things that made it hard. First, the weather. On day 7 I had the choice of giving up on the challenge or facing a snow storm. Colby and I set out for 10 very cold and difficult miles. It was snowing the entire time and the sidewalks were covered. Have you ever ran on sand? It is like that. But slippery, cold, and wet.
The challenge pushed me out the door. I know that if it weren't for the fact I had decided to join and already logged 60 miles/6 days, it would surely have been a treadmill day. Or... let's face it. It was Super Bowl Sunday. I may have just grazed on unhealthy food and neglected my running completely.
 |
| Proud of Colby for going the (very cold) distance with me! |
The next biggest challenge was the requirement to run outside in general. It created a need to plan my run carefully to avoid the dark. I feel safe on base, but would not choose to run at night alone if it can be avoided. I spend a lot of time on my treadmill in the winter. This challenge pushed me out of that comfort zone.
The most significant challenge was being locked in on the distance. There are times when I have to work more than others. On those days I would normally run shorter distances and save the long stuff for my light work days. The requirement to run 2 hours (or a little more on the slowest days) regardless of my other responsibilities for the day was difficult.
 |
| My shoelaces gathered snowballs along the way. |
Minor issues were that I was sore and tired. This was really an advantage rather than a problem. I need to be tired and push myself through it. In the end, that is what gets me to the finish in the seriously long stuff.
 |
| My puppy (Emily) is pretty happy about all this running. |
In the end, I am glad that I chose to do the 10x10 challenge. It pushed me to be accountable to something that was hard. I don't usually put running before other things, but for this 10 day period there were times I had to. Unlike a race where you can just knock it out and deal with life later, this challenge requires a balance or at least management of all the daily challenges of life and running.
I feel accomplished that I didn't hide from the cold or the tired legs. I set out to do it and I did. Mission accomplished. Now to find another scheme to drive myself crazy. Any ideas?
 |
| Day 1 - January 26, 2015 - 70 Degrees and beautiful. How hard can this be? |
 |
| Day 2 - January 27, 2015 |
 |
| Day 3 - January 28, 2015 |
 |
| Day 4 - January 29, 2015. 38 degrees. Not as much fun as 70, FYI. |
 |
| Day 5 - January 30, 2015 - Family came with me. Fun was had by all. |
 |
| Day 6 - January 31, 2015 - Housing loops with the puppy and my love. |
 |
| Day 7 - February 1, 2015 (Super Bowl Sunday - 6 inches of snow) |
 |
| Day 8 - February 2, 2015 - fastest day of the challenge |
 |
| Day 9 - February 3, 2015 Sore and tired. Ready to be finished. |
 |
| Day 10 - February 4, 2015. 25 - 28 degrees. The best part? I don't have to do it again tomorrow! |
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteMy original comment never took as I wasn't signed in on WordPress Grrrr
ReplyDeleteWhat about a 'reverse pyramid/pyramid' challenge? 11 days. Start with 1 mile, double the distance everyday for 5 more days, then split in half for 5 more. So it would be 1,2,4,8,16,32,16,8,4,2,1.....might be easier to plan work around?
I like that, E. I will have to look at when I could do that. It would be perfect for peak ultra training.
Delete