Friday, June 24, 2011

Feeling Really Strong

It is amazing that as a runner, we go through spots where running is a total struggle and times when running is as natural as breathing. I am in a streak of the latter. It is about time. Not that I was totally struggling, but it is just really easy right now. Nothing hurts. I set a goal for the day and have easily met them. Running is a drug when it comes this easily. No fear. Just accomplishment. This, my friends, is why I run. For weeks like this.

I have had 3 great treadmill runs this week. Two 5 milers and an 8 today. I plan to go on an outside run this weekend. Probably another long one. The treadmill is really my only option during the week. My strategy is to push myself as hard as possible on the "dreadmill" runs. It is so much easier for me than running outside, especially up at my house at 4.2k feet above sea level. Between the bugs, psycho neighbors, and potential for snakes, I don't enjoy running from home anyway. I need to get back to logging serious miles because...wait for it...

My friends and I have decided to take on an ultra marathon! We are running the Extra Terrestrial 51k out at Area 51 on August 13th. I am not sure that I can say that I am looking forward to it, but I am excited to have a girls only - running centered - trip to Vegas. We'll take a bus to the start line about 2 hours from LV. Everything (except running over 30 miles through the middle of the night) sounds like tons of fun!

Our goal is just to finish, so we will be doing a run/walk or something to compensate for the altitude and midnight hour. I guess there will always be another milestone to strive for when you are as type-A as I am. Seems like as soon as I finish one goal, another bigger and better one comes along to drive me crazy.

My poor husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment