Theresa and I (and Mimi) made our way to the race expo. For anyone that has not been, it is a crazy event with free samples, race gear demonstrations, guest speakers, and where you pick up your race packet. We picked up our bibs and t-shirts and enjoyed all the excitement as we wandered around the convention center. It was fun to see the people from runDisney and our coaches from WCRR.
Saturday began with us dropping off the kids with Aunt Dawna and Uncle Bob. They were so darn excited. I was happy that we did not have to experience a sad goodbye. They were out of our car and into theirs before we could say goodbye! After the kiddo transfer, we went to lunch at Olive Garden. I have to say, the best part about running is the pre-race carb load! Pasta for everyone!
After gorging ourselves with as many carbs as we could hold, we ventured toward San Diego. We decided it was too early to check in to the hotel, so we stopped and watched Hangover II. It was funny, but predictable. I just enjoyed being able to sit through a movie without my princess demanding more popcorn or a potty break.
After the movie, we checked in to our hotel. We stayed at the Best Western Hacienda in Old Town, San Diego. We stayed here the night before I went to Florida in February. The location is too perfect to pass up. We enjoyed a stroll around Old Town, dinner at a great Mexican place, and a scouting expedition to find the Trolley Station for Brady. I was in heaven. Alone time with my favorite person is priceless and rare!
I tried to get to bed early, but nerves and excitement prevented that. Awake before my 3:45 alarm, I was up and ready by 3:30. My wonderful running friends, Christian, Edna and her husband, picked me up and we were headed to the start line. After reaching the start, this is what it looked like:

Dark!
After milling around, using the gross port-a-potties, and feeling like I was going to lose my breakfast, it was finally time to get into my corral. Corral 19 out of 42. This is a pic of all 34,000 crazy people lined up for the run:

The first 5 miles or so were in downtown San Diego. We ran through Balboa Park, down city streets, through Petco Park (Home of the Padres), past the USS Midway, and several homeless people. I was able to fall into a very comfortable pace of about 10:40 - 11 minutes per mile. I was told not to go out too fast, so I was trying to be sure not to do that. I was enjoying myself and thankful that nothing hurt.
At about mile 8 we were running on Hwy 163. I had heard for months that the "slant" of the freeway was a killer on the knees. Here is a pic of the freeway:
The freeway did slant, but I stayed on the flattest part of each section and it was not bad at all. I was distracted from running by taking pictures and posting on Facebook. Bad for my time, but great for my morale. Before I knew it, I had passed mile 11 and was off the freeway.
Brady and I had planned for him to meet me at mile 13+. He called and told me his exact location. I was so excited to find him. I passed miles 12 and 13. I soon looked up and saw my best friend waiting to run with me. If you look close in this pic, you can see the excitement on my face:

Brady started running with me at this point. It was fun to share the experience with him. He kept reminding me that the cheers from the crowd were for ME! We wound our way through Mission Valley and down a road that switched back so we were at about mile 15, but passed the marker for mile 18. I was enjoying waving at my WCRR friends, but the course was boring at this point. After mile 16 I looked up and saw Joe from the Marathon Show! I have listened to his show several times and was excited to meet him. He actually interviewed me right there and our time made it in his show a few days later. Here is a pic of Joe and I:
We continued to run, and run, and run. At mile 19 or so we enjoyed a neighborhood group passing out orange slices and "beeraid". It was a fun street. Brady started calling our friends and family at this point. It was excited to share my progress with everyone. It was fun to hear their supporting voices or leave a crazy message on their voicemail. I was definitely slowing down at this point. My pace was at 11:50 - 12:00 minute miles. My legs felt like they weighed about 150 pounds each. I never thought about quitting though, or doubting that I would finish.
It is a lot of fun when spectators have crazy signs. Along the route there were several signs worth mentioning:
- (at about 200 feet from the start line) Only 26 more miles to go! You are almost there!
- Hurry up and get past me, I farted!
- WORST. PARADE. EVER.
- Your feet hurt because you are kicking ASSphault
- Insert Inspirational Comment Here
At about mile 23 we were on Fiesta Island. Boring is the only way I can describe it. Boring and very hot. No clouds, no breeze. Brady's knees were hurting and my legs were lead. We pressed on. I was beyond happy to see this sign:

And so we pushed on. There were more walkers than runners around us. People were spent, grumpy, and hot. Where the hell was the finish? We passed a group of "cheer" leaders at mile 25. We both thought for sure they were doing more mocking than cheering. We passed an angel from heaven passing out Red Vines. What a nice thing to do!
Brady made a video of me at the mile 26 marker. When he asked me how it felt to be at mile 26, all I could do was put my hands up and smile. There aren't words to describe it!
And at last, the finish. I cried. I felt like I was having an out of body experience.
Brady crossed with me. He ran over 12 miles to support me. He is so awesome. We enjoyed the post race snacks and bought this great new shirt:

Yep.
I trained.
I raced.
I finished.
26.2 baby!
No comments:
Post a Comment