I have been bugging Brady for awhile to come up with something fun to do for our 13th anniversary. You see, there have been many years that we were not able to enjoy our anniversary together. To me, each year we are together (in the same spot) on our anniversary should be celebrated.
I came up with the idea that running together would be fun. When I realized that our big day (March 17th) fell on a Saturday this year, I figured it may be possible to run a race together. Upon a quick search, I found that our favorite Race Director, Charlie Alewine, was holding a race that day.
I suggested to Brady we run a marathon together. We are, after all, Marathon Maniacs! We have ran 2 marathons in the past together and it was a fun experience. He is much faster than me, but sometimes he slows down long enough to enjoy the company of his wife.
Well, Brady liked the idea, but then modified it some. He thought it would be more symbolic to run a half marathon because the 13.1 miles would represent our 13 year (so far) journey together. I instantly loved the idea.
On race day it was forecasted to be raining and windy. I was a little nervous because although it was 'only' a half marathon, it was a trail run (I was a trail race virgin), and I wasn't sure what the terrain would be like if we got caught in a torrential downpour. I was also breaking the cardinal rule of wearing new shoes on race day. I knew my Brooks PureFlows did not have the tread that I needed, so I bought some Brooks Cascadias just the night before.
The race was tough from the start. I think the humidity and lack of warm up prior got me quick. I was wheezing like a 100 year old smoker and really having trouble with the first hill(s). I was in full panic mode when the hill finally ended and I was able to just run enough to warm up, catch my breath, and end the burn. My stressed eased as we ran along and enjoyed the beautiful course and morning.
At some point our friend Ed showed up in his colorful jester duds and we ran the rest of the race with him. It is always an entertaining experience to run with Ed.
We reached the aid station the second time and shed a layer or two. I heard Charlie say, "if it were a snake, it would bite them." I was oblivious to him. He pointed to the table and I saw it - A cake! Ed and Martha had bought us an anniversary cake! Such a neat thing to do! We told Charlie to guard it for us until the race was over and we could enjoy it.
As we were running I was listening to Ed and Brady banter back and forth, I was thinking how the course was a good metaphor for marriage. We have had ups, downs, and rocky patches in our marriage. It is tough to share your life with another person, especially when that person leaves for months at a time. With that being said, there is no one on Earth I would rather share my journey with. I adore my husband and I look forward to at least an eternity with him!
FYI - We'll be running 14 miles together next year. Join us, won't you?
How cool! What a great way to celebrate your anniversary and running together.
ReplyDeleteThanks Photina! It was a fun day and one we'll always remember :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool way to share your "13". Thanks for letting me be a part of it. So glad you and Brady will be able to share the "30" with Martha and me.
ReplyDeleteEd, thanks so much. I loved sharing it with you. Looking forward to celebrating with you and Martha!
DeleteThats Awesome!!! Happy 13 and may you have many more!!! 13.1 perfect. 13 years together as 1. I love it!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Leigh! It was very fitting for our lives right now!
Delete