In recent weeks I have been noticing a particular tone among some runners. It seems some find it necessary to put others down for their choice of pace, race distance, surface choice, or many other notions. Some question whether or not others are even 'real' runners.
What do I have to say? We need to get over ourselves and stop judging others.
What is a runner? A runner runs. It doesn't matter if they run a mile or 100 miles. It does not matter if they run that mile in 6 minutes or 12 minutes. It does not matter if they are a Marathon Maniac or a Half Fanatic. It matters not if they have even raced, whether or not they run trails or roads, or if they wear shoes while doing it.
A runner is the guy or gal that wants to lose weight.
A runner is the guy that works to qualify for Boston.
A runner is seeking Titanium status or their first 5k.
A runner runs for 30 minutes, 3 days a week on the dreaded treadmill.
A runner is young or old, fat or skinny, fast, or slow.
A runner is that new mom pushing the jogging stroller to lose the baby belly.
A runner runs.
Not sure if you are a runner?
If you feel better after a run around the block, you are a runner.
If you love the finish line, you are a runner.
If you run 26.2 for fun, you are a runner.
If you collect buckles, you are a runner.
If you think about running when you aren't doing it, you are a runner.
If you are amazed by the runners' high and crave to feel it when you are down, you are a runner.
I get it that all of us are not going to log thousands of miles in a year. Not all of us would ever want to. The driven runners that are passionate and addicted to their craft are a different breed. I would include myself in that group. I find myself surrounded by those types because we understand the need to feed the urge. BUT, I am not better or worse than the guy that never takes it seriously, never runs a trail, and never enters a race. I am me. You are you. Who are we to judge each other?
I LOVE to run. I love to race. Running is my drug of choice. If you are not a runner, I would love to share with you what running has done for me. I would love for you to feel what I feel. Want to come along on my next run?
I would never put you down or call you weak if you didn't take me up on that offer.
Every runner brings something to our sport. The depth of the field makes the races so much fun. The elite marathon winner, the back of the pack first time racer, and the trail tested ultra fanatic add richness beyond measure. So, to those that put others down, please stop. They aren't bothering you. Last time I checked, runners were supportive and appreciative of the community to which they belong.
How about we shut up and run?
AWESOME post!! Especially
ReplyDelete" If yo uthink about running when you aren't running -you are a runner"
I might -if you can't stop obsessing about running when you are injured -you are a runner!!
Thank you !
i might add was what it was supposed to say!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sally! I have been that injured runner and it drove me crazy! That is a good one :)
ReplyDeleteYou had me at 'A runner runs.' Great post Shawna.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ed. We all love the cheerleader you are to the very last runner!
DeleteGood timing on the post. Today, I was on my way to my job at a bicycle shop and was jealous of the runner I saw on the way.
ReplyDeleteHi Wayne, That is another good one. I do the same thing, especially if they are running where I usually do.
DeleteDo you get jealous when you see others run? You are a runner!
I like this. As humans we tend to think whatever we are into at the moment is the gold standard (speed, BQ, distance, sub-4 marathons,) It is a shame when runners insult other runners to make themselves feel better. Thanks for reminding us what is important.
ReplyDeleteThank you Kristin. In my opinion, we need to worry about our own experiences and let others have theirs. Unless we are lifting them up with encouragement, better to just leave them be. Most of us are not competing against anyone but the voice in our own head that doubts us. I am glad you like my post.
ReplyDeleteMost excellent posting! As a CLL patient who runs most of her marathons on chemo I do it for me and I'm surrounded by amazing people, very few who don't share the sportsmanship.
ReplyDeleteRun safe, run strong!
Thank you . . . I encourage rather than tear down.
ReplyDelete