Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Quest to Find Balance

This week is a testament to how I am often required to be a magician to keep the crazy moving parts of my life on track. Easter Vacation, in-laws visiting, and Brady's weird schedule had me a little frazzled.

If you are not married to the military, like I am, you may not understand what I mean. Brady's career with the Marine Corps means that he can be gone for months at a time at the whim of people I will never meet. When that happens, all child raising, home management, carpooling, and life required activities fall to me. It's ok, after 16 years with the man and the Corps, I may be getting good at it.

I am currently teaching 6 different courses for 4 different universities. That is a juggle in itself. I work from home, so the quiet safety of an office is a luxury I don't enjoy. When the kids are home, it is a test of my abilities to be a Mommy, wife, housekeeper, and educator all at the same time.

Another issue with Easter Vacation and visitors is my running schedule. I start getting antsy when I miss my runs. The biggest issue is that I have this little 50  miler in 2 weeks that is eating at me. I made so much progress in March in my training. I ran more miles in a month than ever before. April came and my training took a back seat to Easter parties, life, responsibilities, etc. When that happens, I start the doubting questions:

Will my endurance decrease?
Did I run my double marathon too early and it won't be helpful?
Am I ready? 
Will I get out there and it will be terrible because I am not ready?

I got so freaked out yesterday that I found myself running on a treadmill - at the gym - after church - at 9:30 pm. I ran 10 miles and didn't get home until midnight. When I finally put my head on the pillow I was proud that I was able to do it all yesterday. I was an educator, a wife, a Mommy, a church volunteer, and a runner. I was able to put the doubts away for another day.

Does your life get in the way of your training?
How do you balance it all?


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're SUPERWOMAN!!
    Between four kids, their club sports, ASB and activities (well 5 kids if you count Ed) and our home based business, school classes, a ranch with animals, I hear you, it was hard. I think that is why my "needs" got put on the back burner! Even now as the children have grown older, I find it isn't any easier. There is always something that can be or should be done. There are only 24 hours in one day, you can't do it all- something has to give- self, family, sleep, housework, downtime... it's all a balance. I think you have to just decide what is most important, and go for it! Be time efficient and micromanage well. And then just be happy to "settle" for the not so perfect, not complete things that get put down lower on the priority list. You're children love what you do, they admire you for it... You are their rock star role model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. I agree that sometimes that house could be cleaner or there may be other things that could be done better, but the kids are young once and my happiness is important too. I agree that it is always easier to let go of an activity I want in order to make sure they get what they need. That's ok. If running at midnight is what it takes, so be it :)

      Delete