Monday, April 30, 2012

An Ultra Hard Lesson in Socks

I typically wear running socks from Road Runner Sports:


From the time I started wearing them I stopped getting blisters on the edges of my feet. In recent months I have been getting them on my big toe where it rubs on the second toe. No amount of BodyGlide seemed to help. 

For the past few weeks I have been wearing these Injinji socks:

They were awesome in my training runs. No blisters. No issues. They fit just like a glove.

Then came mile 20 of my first 50 miler. I felt a burning on my right heel. When I peeled up my gaiters, I found the start of a raw spot on my heel. I got a band-aid at the next aid station, pulled my sock back up and kept charging forward.

About mile 30 I started feeling the issue on my left foot. Imagine for the next 20 miles (of the hardest run in my life to date) having to stop and pull my socks up every other mile or so. Both socks just wouldn't stay up. It was very painful, time consuming, and annoying.

By the time the race was over and the endorphins wore off, my gaiters were bloody and I couldn't stand to walk. After 2 days of being covered with antibiotics and band-aids, this is what my left heel looks like:

Bottom line: Injinji promises "A better performance in any shoe." That is not what I got. I am not sure why the socks wouldn't stay up. Maybe the elastic on the socks is not strong enough? Maybe the way I was running on that crazy uneven surface? The shoes? I do know that I have never once had issues with my heels while running. I think I'll be going back to my RRS socks. The small issue with the blisters on my big toe was never more than an annoyance. This, on the other hand, was almost a game stopper.

10 comments:

  1. it is amazing how socks can make/break a run or race. I ran the Maui HM in FEB........it was hotter than hell and I came from freezing fog and 30 degree temps. I went with thinner 'summer' style socks. Had a blister the SIZE OF MONTANA at the base of my great toe.......ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Socks have been huge for me. I used to get HUGE ones on the sides of my feet last year when I was training for my first 26.2. When the RRS guy suggested their socks it made a world of difference. Kicking myself for deviating...

      Delete
  2. Did you wear the micro length Injinji socks? I don't usually have problems with blisters or irritations of the heel since I've started wearing Injinji socks. But you could try wearing the mini-crew or crew length. But it goes to show that what works for someone doesn't always work for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was wearing the exact ones in the picture. I never even thought of the heels being an issue since they weren't in the training runs I wore them in. Like you said, you never know. Even what works one day may not when you increase the mileage.

      Delete
  3. Looks painful!
    Hey Shawna, not to suggest you deviate again, but... Ed wears the Wright Socks and NEVER has any foot issues with them. He has super sensitive feet, and even after 100s, doesn't get blisters- unless his feet have gotten wet.. rain, creeks, etc... May want to check them out, or at least talk to Ed about them.
    http://www.wrightsock.com/running.php

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super painful. Even today it hurt to put shoes on.

      Thanks for the suggestion! I will do that. With the miles he puts on his socks, the suggestion is definitely worth something :)

      Delete
  4. Ouchie! For your blistery big toes have you tried toe guards? They help me out tremendously. I have not had any blisters since wearing them.

    http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athletics-Toe-Caps-Pack/dp/B0002RFO2A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from Patsy over at ArmsWideOpen. Have you ever tried Experia socks? Every time I run, those are the ones I'm pawing around in my sock drawer for. They are super cushy and sort of grip my feet. You might want to give them a try. Of course, I should temper this with the fact that I've never run close to 50 miles!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Patsy. I will look them up!

    ReplyDelete