| Brady and I at the start |
Nanny Goat has 3 categories: 12 hour/24 hour/100 mile. Runners who
run 86 miles in 24 hours can continue to 30 in order to complete 100
miles. The course is a mixed surface 1 mile loop through and around a
working horse ranch. Race HQ is a horse barn that includes the aid
station and timing equipment that runners must pass through for each lap to count.
At first, the course seems very
easy. There are sections of hard packed dirt road which are shaded by
orange trees, grass riddled with gopher holes, and exposed asphalt. The
asphalt includes an out and back section, allowing the runners to
exchange support and conversations every loop.
I
started out feeling great. My goal was to run a comfortable, steady pace
for as long as possible. Comfortable for me is about 10:30 - 11 minute
miles. My first 10 were right on target. It was a beautiful, cool
morning and I felt great. I shared a few miles with the Jester (Ed), and
a few other friends. Brady was doing his own thing and lapped me
early.
Miles 11 - 20 were somewhat slower, but
not bad. I stopped to grab snacks a few times, but carried
them with me and did my best to keep moving. The most nagging issue at
this point was a physical urge to pee, but an inability to do so. I
tried several times with no success. I worried enough to ask Martha
(Mrs. Jester) about it and her and Ed both reassured me that it was
normal. I pushed on.
![]() |
| The Jester makes it look easy! |
![]() |
Around
mile 31 Brady came up and decided to stay with me. We shared how we
were doing, high fives with passing runners, and every chance for Brady
to call Ryan 'fat boy'. We were thrilled to get hot, fresh, grilled
hamburgers. A few miles later Brady tried to give me a veggie burger.
One bite convinced me I could never be a vegetarian. Yuck!
Mile 39 Brady hit a wall and decided that he was walking during
our designated running section. Something pushed me to run, so I told
him that I wanted to catch him (he had been 1 lap ahead of me since about
mile 5). I took off. About half a mile later I regretted the decision. I
felt bad that I left him in a time he may have needed encouragement. I
pushed as hard as I could, except in the grassy/gopher section. I ran
through the barn without stopping. I worried about Brady. I was thrilled
to see him headed toward the barn when I was coming into the asphalt
section. I pushed more, he gave me a smile of encouragement. This went
on for 3 miles. Finally, at mile 42, I caught up to him. I was so
relieved!
My second goal was to reach 50 miles in less than 12 hours. That
would give me 12 more hours to reach the first cut off of 86 miles in 24
hours. Mathematically, I didn't imagine that it would take me longer
than that. Funny how ultras can change so quickly...
We decided that we would take a break at mile 50. I took my shoes
off to put on clean socks. I discovered huge, nasty blisters on the
outside of my foot and between my big and second toes. I thought it was
best to pop them. I have to tell you that it was the most painful
blister care I have ever experienced. I cussed, cried, and gritted my
teeth. Brady and Martha helped me wrap my sorry toes and I attempted to
put my shoes back on. It was horrible. When I stood up it crossed my
mind that my race was over. Thankfully after a few hundred feet my
blisters relented and I was able to run. I am sure it was slow, but it
wasn't killing me, so I was relieved.
| midnight in the Nanny Barn |
For dinner I
ate half of another hamburger and a cup of rice. Starting about mile
40 or so, I started eating espresso beans, grapes, and watermelon. I
also filled my 22 oz bottle with water at least every hour.
We trudged on. It got dark. It got a little cold. We
commiserated, complained, and whined to each other. We kept going,
slower with every lap. The hundred or so ounces of fluid I had consumed
finally decided to make its way out. Unfortunately for my time, I had
to go almost every other lap. I was pretty annoyed with my body for
making me waste so much time in the nasty port-o-potties throughout the
day.
Brady wanted us to take a nap. He thought we would avoid the
zombie walk he experienced at Rocky Road if we took a preemptive nap. I
told him to decide when. He told me to decide when. Neither of us were
thinking. At mile 66 I was frustrated, tired, and cold. I told him we
needed to stop. We went to the tent, tried not to step on Colby,
and set our alarm for 45 minutes. Brady was able to fall asleep pretty
quickly. I couldn't. My legs were throbbing, my calf muscles were
spasming, and my stomach was growling. I should have got up and let him
meet me when the time was up, but I didn't. I sat there, crying,
complaining on Facebook, and feeling sorry for myself. When the alarm
went off, Brady questioned whether I could go on. I wasn't going to stop
at 66 miles, so I forced my legs to get up and get moving again.
The next time I was in the barn I grabbed the midnight snack of
champion athletes - Cheetos. They were a good distraction for a short
time. We met up with other runners and shared in their misery. A few
were throwing up. A few were walking like they had glass in their shoes
and looked worse than we felt. A few were running, and running well. I
hated them! I was jealous of their strength. I wanted to run, but
couldn't make myself do it.
Ever so slowly, we kept going. I had it in my mind I was done at
75. That was three quarters of the goal. That was enough, right? I
convinced myself it was. At mile 75 we sat down in the barn. I was
really sure I was done. The Jester finished his PR 100 in less than 20
hours and came through the barn. When he saw us sitting he convinced us
to get up and keep going. I hated him for it (not really, but the
thought crossed my mind that I was going to stab him with a fork), but
we walked out of the barn for another go. At first, we were walking at a
pace that was quick enough to keep us on target for the cut off. If we
could maintain a 15 minute (or better) mile pace, I had time. We
probably made two at that pace and I ran out of gas again.
Ed did his best to encourage us. Martha joined us on the march.
Some of what they were saying sounded like white noise. Their voices
were drowned out by the burning pain in my feet and ankles. Every time I
tried to bend my ankle to walk, it felt like someone was hitting them with a
hammer (an image from the movie Misery becomes crystal clear). The bottom of my feet ached in indescribable ways. The chafing
on my waist burned. My eyes were heavy. The small bumps in the road
became taller than my feet could climb. The concrete driveway that went
unnoticed earlier in the day became an out-right elevation gain to be
dreaded. I was miserable. I was mad. I was sad. I was incoherent.
I tried to quit again at mile 78. I told Ed and Martha I was
done. Ed tried to convince me that I would feel better if I went up to
the cut off. I argued that whether it was 78 or 82, it was the same
medal, same feeling of not making the 100 mile. I didn't see the point
in continuing on. As we got close to the barn I compromised. I agreed to
2 more loops, 80 miles total. I think Brady was secretly wishing I had
quit at 78. Once I decided it was over at 80, I felt better. I could see
the end in sight.
You see, I may have been able to get more miles in before the cut
off, if by some miracle I had been allowed to continue on, that would
have meant 22 more miles from that point. When you hit that horrible wall at mile 20 of a
marathon, you only have a 10k to go. Six point two. I was facing 22
miles. It was not possible to me in that moment. About a quarter mile
from our final pass into the barn Colby met us on the trail. He had just
woken up. We told him to join us for the last bit to the finish. He
thought we meant for our 100. I could see the disappointment on his face
when we said it was for 80. Not even that face ignited enough spark to
get me to keep going.
![]() |
| Colby bringing us in |
We came into the timing mat, hand in hand and I told the RD,
Steve that we were finished. He hung our medals around our neck and took
our timing chips. I found a chair, took my shoes off and thanked God it
was over. No celebration, not excitement, just relief.
![]() |
| 80 miles - DONE! |
The emotions and realizations came later...




Hi Shawna,
ReplyDeleteWonderful write-up of your experience at Nanny Goat. Congratulations on a hard won 80 miles!! I want to thank you for your words of encouragement as I struggled to complete 12 hours of running. Congratulations again!
Barbara
Thanks Barbara. It sure was an experience, wasn't it? Hope to see you again soon. SW
DeleteExcellent report Shawna. Thanks for taking us through those feelings, physical and emotional. Be very proud of your hard earned 80 miles, I sure am. Can't wait til Part III.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, you can still be a vegetarian without eating veggie burgers. I rarely eat them, and I actually like them. It's like saying Brady eats bacon morning, noon, and night . . . wait, I think Brady does eat bacon morning, noon, and night!
Ed "The Jester"
Thanks Ed. Working on Part III now. On the veggie thing, the only thing that ran through my mind when I ate it was, "how the heck does Ed eat this?" Later, that seems so silly. Of course you eat other things. I think Brady would enjoy bacon that often, if I was willing to cook it!
Delete