Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Remembering Pete

Our running family learned a tough lesson in the passing of Pete Mingoa on September 22nd. Pete was an amazing, encouraging, and positive spirit. Those that knew him were fortunate enough to have a glimpse of the happiness running brought him.

Pete's death took a toll on me. As I thought about it, I initially didn't understand why. I only saw Pete 8 times (Summer 7 and Run de Vous). I probably shared less than 90 minutes in his presence. I did talk to him often on Facebook, but why did his passing affect me so? It didn't make sense, really.

Pete was someone that loved to run and share the company of other runners. He was quick with friendly encouragement and advice if you asked. He wasn't egotistical about his accomplishments. He had an infectious smile. He had fun on the course and enjoyed the journey.

As time passed and others shared their love of Pete, it became clear. Pete's positive qualities are important and valuable things, but what Pete represented was a fear deep within me. A fear of something similar happening in my own life.

His death was tragic because:

He died too soon.
He died so suddenly. 
He died when he was very healthy.
He left 2 beautiful daugthers without a father.
He left his wife a widow.

I have been at home while my husband served our country in hostile lands. I have worried while he was on an airplane flying far away from us and everything familiar. I have wondered if he was scared. I haven't ever considered that he could be taken like Pete was.

Could he?

Could I?

I obviously don't know if today is my last day on Earth. I find comfort in my faith and the promise of Heaven, but the thought of leaving my babies or Brady scares me. Brady leaving me early scares me more. I can't imagine the conversation between mother and child with the news of Daddy's death. How completely terrible that would be.

Because I can't control when my time is up, I choose to control how I live.  I will live completely. I will love entirely. I won't support toxic people or allow them to hinder my joy. I will remind my kids to live out their dreams entirely. I will encourage, bring joy, and smile more to those around me. If God were to take me to Heaven today, my hope would be that people remember me as a kind and loving spirit.

Thank you, Pete, for who you were in my life. Thank you for reminding me how precious this life is. You are and always will be 100 mile Pete and I am thankful for sharing those few precious miles with you!

Pete and I - at the start line of the Run de Vous 100 - August, 2012

2 comments:

  1. Shawna - I LOVE this. I love that you show your raw fear, and your strength in not stepping over it, but RUNNING through it and working to be fully engaged - making a positive mark on your children, your husband, your friends - heck - the world, with this blog. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey. I pray everyday that I can do just that. Hoping I leave this world a little better than I came into it - just like Pete did. Love you! Your journey is part of me too. We can't take anything for granted!

      Delete