Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Winner, Winner... Chicken Dinner!

My race at Across the Years 48 hour footrace started at 9:00 on December 30th. Many runners started the day before. We all had the option of 24, 48, or 72 hours. I chose to start on the 30th so that I was running at midnight on New Years Eve.

We made our way to the event the evening of the 29th to set up our tent. We said hi to friends that had already started, picked up our bibs, and got to know the layout of the race.  Later we went to pizza with other runners starting on day 2.

I started the race with a stomach ache. I am not sure if it was nerves or the food from the previous night, but it was painful. In the back of my mind, I worried it would cause me problems. More on that to come, because unfortunately, it became my race companion for most of the event.

Early in the race I ran with Rob, my friend who is also from SoCal. He was on his quest for buckle #1. We spent time catching up and enjoying the crisp morning. Before long he was on his way and I started running with a new friend Angela. We laughed at silly things and got to know each other. The first miles flew by in a blur.

Brady lapped me and then stayed with me after that. We stopped at the aid station every few miles, shared high fives with Colby each lap, and settled in for the long haul that was to come. Rob's wife Deb was amazing and offered to bring us lunch. We had chicken quesadilas and I think I ate it so fast I hardly tasted it. I was really hungry!



We ticked off the miles, 1.05 at a time, as we made our way around the course. Besides the lingering stomach bug that sent me to the bathroom about every half hour, I felt great.

When we were about 43 miles in, Deb brought us dinner. It was Sunday Chicken from Cracker Barrel. I also had mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, and washed it all down with sweet tea. We sat in Rob and Deb's RV long enough to enjoy our meal, giggle with Colby, Martha, and Deb, and rest. We also took a 5 hour energy drink just before dinner, so I was flying pretty high when we finished. Deb, you ARE my best friend. Thank you again!

Brady decided he was going to stop for the night when he reached 100k. That would allow him to have a few hours of sleep and mental clarity for when Colby started running. We reached that point at about 1:00 am. He went to bed and I turned on my iPod for company. I was nervous to run at night without a pacer or company, but it wasn't bad. I ended up running about 28 miles (61 - 89) alone that night. I had several miles that were in the 13 minute range and all were under 15 minutes. I had a run/walk routine going that worked really well. I felt great, especially for being past the 62 mile mark.

I couldn't wait for the sun to come up. It was really cold and I needed the motivation and hope the sun would bring. When it finally rose, I was thrilled to have survived. I was tired, but felt ok. The issues I was having were my constant upset stomach, sore feet, and a wheezing that had started in my lungs.

At some point during my first day, I realized that most people were stopping at 100 miles or soon thereafter. It occurred to me that by doing the 200k I had planned, I just may be a contender in the race. I talked to Brady and Ed about it to see if I was thinking incorrectly or dreaming. Both agreed it made sense and that at 9:00 am when the first set of 48 hour runners stopped I would know what it would take to beat them. I became slightly obsessed with the thought - Could I win? Was it possible? Did I have what it would take? Only time would tell.

Brady got up and joined me on the course for a couple miles before we woke Colby up. They had dealt with the cold and uncomfortable tent conditions, but seemed ready to go. I was ready to watch Colby run. I knew it would help my morale to see him on the course.

At 9:00 am the first batch of 48 hour runners finished. The top female completed 129.18 miles. That was the mark to beat. As long as I could stay ahead of the runners still on the course, I could possibly place in the event. I was excited, stressed, and scared. I came to the conclusion that I wanted to win. I wanted it badly, but I wasn't sure I could run over 129 miles. Turns out Brady never doubted it and made sure I didn't either.

The new batch of runners started their race. The course got a lot more crowded, but it was nice to see people on fresh legs. The miles went by, slower by the hour. My feet were killing me. The bottoms just seemed like they were bruised. Brady ended up about half a lap ahead of me. I struggled with the idea of stopping for a foot care/rest break without him knowing it or just trying to catch him.

Eventually, the overwhelming pain resulted in a stop. I dug a new pair of shoes and socks out of the tent. I washed my feet (baby wipes) and discovered two blisters on my right big toe. As I was sitting there, feeling sorry for myself, I read several texts and posts from my friends. That certainly helped. The greatest thing ever though was when I looked up from my phone and saw Mimi running toward me. I had no idea she was coming. Seeing her brought tears to my eyes. It was wonderful!

I took my clean shoes/socks and walked to the med tent. They had me drain my blisters and then they taped the toe. I got back on the course and Mimi came out with me. It was nice to share the experience with her. She wanted me to run faster, but finally understood why I couldn't.

About 27.5 hours into the race I finished the first 100 miles. "Only" 30 more to go to catch first place. At the 3.5 MPH pace I was keeping, we estimated it would happen at 11:00 pm.

I was slow, tired, and suffering. At one point I walked with my eyes closed while Brady talked me through it. Colby lapped us, smiling and having a great time.





At 8:40 pm Colby ran up and had tears running down his cheeks. We had this conversation:

Me: What's wrong
Him: I have 20 minutes to finish this mile.
Me: OK, what will that mean? (I didn't understand the tears)
Him: I have 50 miles in under 12 hours!
Me: GO GET IT!

He took off in the night, running his heart out. We yelled at him to stay at the start/finish when he crossed the timing mat. As we finished that loop, it was Brady's 100.75 mile mark. We hugged Colby and walked together on the next loop. It was such neat timing that they both hit monumental milestones on the same loop at nearly the same time.

By now, I was watching the leader board every loop. There were two ladies that had completed more than 103 miles and seemed to still be going. It was going to take a lot more effort to stay ahead of them.

Brady stopped running at that point. I really wasn't sure how in the world I was going to keep moving alone after more than 36 hours. I asked Ed to walk with me, but he was really tearing it up and not ready to slow down (which of course I understood completely). I was thankful to find my friend Tracy and then Rob again to share some time with. It was a life saver to have them to talk to.

At some point my in laws came back to the course. They brought me coffee and pizza! It was great to see them and they walked some with me as well. At almost exactly 11:00 pm I crossed the mat for the 130th time. I was first female. If I could hold on, I would win this thing! I was still questioning and doubting myself constantly. The next female (that was still running) was at 120+ miles, but it seemed that she was taking a break. I decided that to win, I was going to shuffle through the night.

At midnight we celebrated 2013 with all the runners. We walked a mile as a group, highlighted by Mike Miller running in a 'diaper'.

My inlaws decided to leave. Colby was struggling mightly to stay upright. I made him go to bed. He was at 56 miles and didn't want to stop before reaching 100k. I was worried about injury, so I forced the issue. I know he was disappointed.

I completed another uneventful loop and really thought I was on track to stay moving. It is amazing though, how quickly things change in an ultra. The next loop took me an hour. An hour!!! I sat down, cried, and shivered. I was hoping Ed would run by, but he had taken a break I didn't know about. It seemed that everyone left the course. It was freezing, so they were probably the smart ones.

I made my way to the aid station and decided to take a break in the warming tent. I sat down in front of the heater. A man I didn't know started talking to me. I could hear him and I nodded my head, but not sure I knew what he was saying.

A few minutes later he said to me, "miss, I don't think it is normal you are shivering so hard. You have been sitting here for a while and your teeth are still chattering and your legs are shaking." I asked him if he thought I should go to medical. He shook his head, stood up, and went and got them for me. They told me to come and lay down so they could make sure I was ok.

The EMT checked my blood pressure, stacked several sleeping bags on me, and told me to put my hat back on. I was shaking so hard it hurt. My teeth were chattering, I couldn't stop coughing (had started that a few hours earlier), was very nauseated, and I thought I was dying. She told me my race was over. She didn't think it would be safe for me to be out there another minute. I knew she was right. I had been moving for 41 hours, 136 miles.

I tried to relax, knowing my race was on the line. I have never been a contender in a big race. I hadn't ever worked so hard as I had at ATY. I pushed way beyond my limits to the point of exhaustion. Would I wake up in second place? Part of me didn't care. Part of me was devastated.

I had a few hours of awful sleep, but finally got warm and quit shaking. The cough got better and the nausea passed. I limped to the restroom and couldn't resist checking the leader board. I had 136 miles, 2nd place had 125. At the pace she was keeping, I didn't think she could catch me, but wasn't sure.

I had the pleasure of sharing the med tent sleeping area with 2 other runners. We got to know each other and shared horror stories from the race. We were all very thankful to be warm. In the back of my mind, I worried about Brady. He was asleep in the tent and didn't know where I was. I fell back to sleep, praying my lead would continue to hold out and hoping he would find me soon.

Sometime later I woke to a familiar voice calling my name. It was Brady. Thankfully he had figured out where I was. He confirmed it was almost 8:00 and second place was 6 miles behind me. My win was all but official. We decided to walk one more loop. The sun was up and it was warmer, so I didn't think it would be dangerous for me. I considered it our victory lap!

We woke Colby up, watched some amazing runners finish their races, and finally the clock turn to 9:00, signaling the end of the race. I did it. First female. 3rd Overall. 36 hours later, it still seems like a dream!

A man I didn't recognize came up to me and said:

"I have to tell you that when I saw you early in the race, I thought that it was great you were here to support your husband. I didn't think you were a runner. Then I noticed you in the race and started following your progress. You did amazing and I am ashamed of myself."

By the time he stopped talking, we both were crying. It is amazing how we judge people on what we perceive as their abilities. Turns out, runners come in all shapes and sizes and it is impossible to judge their performance based on looks alone.



That was my journey in a nutshell. If I shared all the details, it would take you 48 hours to read it!






10 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! great report and race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome race report! Congrats!!!!

    -S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawna, you were awesome out there. Reading this makes it clear just how hard-won that gorgeous first place trophy was. Because watching you, you make it seem easy! I've said it before and I have no doubt I'll say it again: you are amazing and an inspiration. I am honored and proud to say I know you and to call you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb! Your smiles and encouragement helped so much. Looking forward to seeing you on the course next year!

      Delete
  4. Great race report of an amazing race performance. That 48-hour first place finish will stay with you forever, no one can take it away from you. It's been so rewarding to watch your progress as an ultra runner. Can't wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ed! I plan on enjoying this one for a long time :) I am glad you were there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. I think you are amazing

    ReplyDelete