As all runners know, any endurance event requires some sort of assistance. We need the volunteers, some events require a crew and/or pacers. We are not capable of achieving most of our amazing feats without the assistance of others.
Across the Years is no different. I didn't have a crew, in the formal sense, but it turned out that I had a crew of dozens. I could not have won or even been successful in completing my goals without so many friends and family and their assistance. I felt it necessary to thank all of you before I tell the details of this race.
First, my dear husband and favorite running partner, Brady: Thank you so much for running with me and pushing me so hard at ATY. You picked me up when I was drooping, you carried my emotions on your shoulders when I couldn't, and you were the biggest factor in my success. I loved sharing so many miles on the course with you. I missed you when you slept and always perked up when we met on another loop. I love you so much and am so proud of you.
To my amazing and adorable son, Colby: Thank you so much for being my crew on day one and tending to my needs. Thank you for your smiles, your applause, and your encouragement. I am not sure if you know this, but the pride in your eyes is part of the reason I run. Watching you acheive so much in your short life is truly amazing. I love you.
To my princess Mimi: Thank you for running 3 laps with me! I am sorry I couldn't run faster, but it turns out Mommy was pretty tired when you showed up. Your smiles erased my pain, picked up my spirits, and reminded me why I was pushing so hard.
To my parents in law, Bonnie and Duane: Thank you for taking care of Mimi. That was huge. What was bigger though was the support you gave us during the race. It meant the world to me to share miles with you that second night. I really needed the support, thank you!
To my favorite knitting marathoners, Martha and Deb: Thanks for the food and cheers! It was always uplifting to see you two smiling and enjoying yourselves at the RV. Your signs were awesome too! I appreciate your support, but the food was what got me to the trophy!
To the Jester: Ed, once again you have helped me in numerous ways. Your mentoring in my running and your friendship in my life are priceless. Those low hours were always more tolerable with your constant encouragement. I really don't have words to adequately address what it means to me.
To all my running friends at the race: Vanessa, Shacky, Rachel, Bill, Rob, Jim, Dezi, Mitch, Tracy, Diane, Mike, Kimberly, Mark, Kristin, Jean, and so many others my foggy brain is forgetting, thank you! Your smiles, high fives, and encouragement meant the world to me. It is the friends we have made over the past couple years that keep us coming back to races.
To my new friends I met on the course, thank you too! I love meeting new friends and sharing in your journeys. It is fun and makes the miles fly by. Angela, it was an honor to share in your first buckle experience. I was so thrilled to come through and see you get your buckle! To Heather, thank you again for taking my shoes off for me in the med tent. I really hope you know how much that meant to me. I have a very strong feeling a buckle is in your future!
To my running friends and family that were not on the course, I know you were rooting for us! I got your texts, tweets, and FB posts. I couldn't always respond, but the fact that you took the time to contact me from afar means a lot. I love you for it!
To Jenn the EMT: I think you saved my life and my race. I appreciate your help on both nights. I know I needed you desperately on night 2. Thanks for your dedication to our cause. I was not happy you wanted me to stop running, but I know it was the right call.
To the guy in the warming tent that suggested I get medical attention: I don't know your name, but thank you for observing that I needed help. I appreciate you taking the time to notice and take action.
To the Coury Brothers and all of the volunteers and crew at Aravaipa Running - Thank you for a top notch event. It was wonderful to see the kids running, the families working together, and the support your team provided. ATY 2012 is a highlight in my life, so thank you for organizing it so well.
Shawna, it was such an honor for me to be able to share some miles with you on the course. Seeing you push yourself to not only win the female division of the 48-hour race, but to come in third overall, beating out all but two very experienced ultra males - that was huge.
ReplyDeleteThe progress you've made in this short time is phenomenal and far exceeds my first year of ultra running. Can't wait to see what you've got planned for 2013.
Thank you Ed! ATY still feels like a dream. I am pretty amazed at all that has happened in 2012! Looking forward to more miles with the Jester in 2013!
ReplyDelete