Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2012 Goals in Review

My goals for 2012 were:
120 miles per month or 1,440 total for the year
10 marathons
8 half marathons
50 miles at Nanny Goat

I have accomplished:
15 marathons (including 7 in 7 days)
7 half marathons
Leona Divide 50
80 Miles at Nanny Goat
Run de Vous 100
ET 51k
Lake Hodges 50k
OTHTC 50k 
Still on the schedule: Across the Years 48 hour Run December 30th

Apparently my goal setting was off the mark. 50 miles at NG was the only ultra I had in mind. When I think about it, I am pretty sure that I wasn't even dreaming of 100 mile finishes last December.

So... what happened? Why in the world did my accomplishments reach so much farther than my goals?

The answer? Envy. Envy drove me to want more, which lead to accomplishing more than I had planned.  You see, Brady finished his first 100 mile attempt at Rocky Road. I saw what was involved and how amazing the experience was. Honestly, I was jealous of his buckle! I wanted one too. What happened was that all my other races lead up to my buckle at Run de Vous.

My goals for 2013 are bigger, scarier, and crazier than they were in 2012. The accomplishments I have under my belt help me to know I can do anything I put my mind to. I am not as scared of DNF or DLF either, which helps. I know that every race, whether successful or not, makes me a smarter runner. There is no failure in that!

See you on the roads and trails!

2 comments: