How do you handle runners who lie? or brag too much?
Brady and I had this conversation with a couple of runners last night:
Runner A: Yes, I run a lot. I even ran Badwater
Shawna: That's cool! We were on our friend's crew this year at Badwater
Runner A's Boyfriend: What's Badwater?
Runner B: Crazy race in Death Valley that only badass people run.
Runner A: Yeah, I only made it 15 miles. I started at 3:00am and had melted 3 pairs of shoes by daylight.
Shawna: gives Brady quizzical look.
Runner B: WOW! That's really cool.
Runner A (to Shawna): Well, if you have been to Badwater, you must have qualified for Boston...
Shawna: No. I haven't.
Runner A to Runner B: You have to qualify for Boston in order to run Badwater.
Shawna bites tongue.
Brady offers to take her home.
For those of you that don't know, Badwater does not start at 3:00 am and qualifying is not related to Boston in any way. Also, I find it highly doubtful any shoes are melting before daylight.
Would you have handled this conversation differently?
I have had other conversations with runners that feel it necessary to be very boastful about their accomplishments. I was recently at dinner with one, whom I had not met prior, that was way over the top. He never once asked me what I had done or anything about me. He was too busy telling me how awesome he was and how many 50ks he had finished. I told my friend Vanessa I wanted to put my 100 mile buckle on the table to shut him up. I didn't. I was cordial and let him talk, but it annoyed me. She made a great statement about how we, as runners, have to be careful. We really don't know who we are talking to. They may be the record holder in the race you are boasting about.
Would you have handled this conversation differently?
I had to re-read what you wrote...as I have never seen BQ and Badwater in the same sentence, before.
ReplyDeleteWhen Runner A stated that you have to BQ to run Badwater, I would of said, "Where did you get that MISinformation? There are several non-BQ athletes who run it every year and what Badwater did you start at 3am? It doesn't start at 3am"
I have no problems calling out liars, and I have dealt with many of them. For example, my FORMER running club. Until they are called-out, they won't change. However, habitual liars are just that - what else do they lie about?
Thanks for your input Charlene. If we had been alone with her, it would have been different, but I just didn't feel it was my place to call her a liar in front of her boyfriend and the other lady.
DeleteValid point :)
ReplyDeleteI'm always pretty self-deprecating when it comes to talking about my running. If someone asks my time/pace on a recent race, I always say, "Well, it was fast, for ME. Kara Goucher would have still smoked me when she was 6 months pregnant."
ReplyDeleteI always call people out when they're BS-ing, though. Even around non-runners, it's not smart to boast or exaggerate details about a race when everyone has a smart phone ;)
I love your response. I find it rude to ask someone about their time. I think a finish is worthy of celebration, even if they were DFL.
DeleteI also agree that lying is stupid, considering all our results are available online :)
Thanks!
Oh my goodness, I have had many conversations like that over the years. I just smile and let them realize it is all put out there.
ReplyDeleteIf they need to lie in order to feel better about their running abilities, than they have other issues to worry about. ;) I like the KG comment above too!
I just laugh to myself and go on. I know a lot of folks have to make things sound better. Its lot like those who ask what was my time every time we mention a race. I am to the point I don't even look at time anymore...
ReplyDelete