Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Why We Let our Son Run a 100 Miler

There are many people that have questioned our decision to let Colby run the Ride The Wind 100. The responses have ranged from honest curiosity to accusations of abuse. I don't feel the need to justify our decision. It is done and we stand by it. What I do want to do is explain why our child is different and deserved this opportunity.

The reasons we let him run 100 miles at 12 years old:

1. Colby is not the average 12 year old. Colby is special and different than most kids. He is not interested in hanging out with other 12 year olds at a local arcade (or where ever 12 year olds hang out these days). Colby is a kid that likes adults and the conversations of adult runners. He feels connected to them. He holds his own in a group of grown ups without being silly or juvenile. Colby has passion. Passion for God. Passion for running. Passion for excellence. Passion for life. He speaks of his future in grand terms and works hard to make his dreams come true. His request for his 12th birthday present? To run a marathon. I told you he was different!
2. Running 100 miles is normal behavior to Colby. Both his parents run 100 milers. A lot of the adults he admires are ultra runners. Running back to back 100s sounds like Greek to most of America, but that is a reality in Colby's world. It is not so scary and strange when the people closest to you do it.
3. Colby's heroes are not highly paid celebrities or traditional sports figures. His heroes include an ultra running Jester and other endurance people that run long distances for fun. Again, running through the woods or around a loop for hours or even days is perfectly normal in Colby's world.
4. It was his dream. Colby has been exposed to amazing adventures and dreams of experiencing them himself. He talks about running Badwater and the Barkley Marathons. He doesn't say "if" he says "when". My job as his mom is to help him see his potential and allow him to safely explore his options.
5. Colby paid his dues and deserved this opportunity. With 2 50 milers and 1 100k under his belt (among other things), he worked his way up to this distance. His Dad and I ran every mile with him and supervised his health and safety. We knew he was ready.

The adverse reaction that some people have to him running ultras has saddened me. Instead of celebrating his amazing achievements, they insult us and demean him. This week I submitted his race report to a popular ultra running publication. Their response was:

"I'll be honest with you that I've had a number of parents write me about their young kids running ultras and they have made it clear that they're angling for publicity as a way to enhance their kid's future college applications. I know, weird! I am sure you guys aren't like that, but we've had to set a policy that we don't publicize young kids doing ultras.

Another reason for this is that the physiological and developmental knowledge is scant and we don't want to promote younger and younger children vying for "the youngest" title in the magazine."
 
My first reaction was anger. After thinking about it, I am more frustrated than angry. The editor mentioned that our knowledge is scant. How can we improve our knowledge if no one is allowed to talk about or promote kids running? How can we spread the word that kids are doing amazing things if we are being accused of abusing them? Is anyone questioning the moms and dads that allow their kids to slam into each other, causing thousands of head injuries each year on the football field or hockey rink? What about gymnasts and cheerleaders? 

The common misconception seems to be that we forced him or did this for attention. I have heard one person refer to us as "doing something disgusting to seek attention". We are not looking for attention. When we share Colby's story it is not to benefit from it. It is not to make ourselves famous. We want others to see that impossible doesn't exist and if you allow kids to pursue their dreams, they are going to amaze you. Kids believe in themselves and dream big. It is adults that put a damper on their dreams. We allowed Colby to pursue one of his. Why is that so wrong?

I don't live through my kids' accomplishments. I don't need to. As an ultra runner, as a mom, and as an educator, I have sought my own accomplishments and lived my own dreams. I am proud of myself in my own right and proud of my kids in theirs. I share their stories and their pictures on social media because I am proud of them and because my family wants to share in their adventures. As a military family, we have loved ones all over the country. It is through Facebook and Twitter that they share in our lives. For anyone that gets tired of me bragging on my kids, please feel free to unfriend me anytime. We aren't meant to know each other anyway.

Colby is not forced to run or forced to race. He seeks it out and does it on his own accord. Most of his training runs are with me. If I am not running he runs with our dog on the dirt road in front of our house. He runs at school. He is a well rounded kid. He attends an excellent private school and is on the Honor Roll every semester. Running is not damaging him.

One last thing. I am constantly being told what can or may happen to him. No one can give me actual proof that ultra running (a very different sport than fast road racing) will damage him. The adult ultra runners I know that ran as kids (yes, some even ran 100s) are fine, well adjusted, normal sized humans.

We work hard to show our kids that pursuit of your dreams is worth the effort. We show them that hard work, dedication, and passion are important. Our son had a dream. We followed along on the pursuit of that dream, keeping him safe and secure. He was recovered in less than 2 days and is chomping at the bit to do more. That speaks volumes. So does the smile on Colby's face as he is running. Come run with us and see for yourself.

12 comments:

  1. While I am certain that I could never keep up with any of you when it comes to running, I am equally as certain that you are an amazing mom! Good for you. I want my children to dream big and accomplish them and you probably know more about what your children want and are capable of than many parents these days who don't have the time to be bothered. I am glad that Katrina shared this and that I was able to read it.

    Thanks,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, Thank you so much for your kind words. Kids that dream big do big things! I appreciate your comments and compliments!
      Shawna

      Delete
  2. This is excellent! I am so sorry for the ridiculous criticism that you've had to go through. It really is a sad reflection of our society that people are so negative towards a child being active, fit and perusing his dreams. If it were 100 years ago (or less) many 12-year olds did hard labor on their family farms from sunrise to sunset every day and that was normal. Today most 12-yr olds cannot even run one mile--and that is okay with most people.
    Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beth. Your farm analogy is so true. It honestly scares me what our society will look like in the next 100 years! I appreciate your kind words so much!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to hear your response to the criticism you have received. I can understand the knee-jerk reaction from parents who don't understand the running (much less ultra-running) community, but Colby's accomplishment should be praised for exactly what it is. I'm amazed that any 12-year-old could do what he did! I'm glad he found his passion, I'm glad his passion resonates so closely with his parents, and I'm ridiculously impressed by what he has accomplished. Most of all, I hope he isn't discouraged by any of the negative responses.

    Always moving forward,
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tyler, he does have amazing passion and it is so fun to be a part of his life and his journey. He said the other day that the negativity makes him want to do more to "prove them wrong". I hope that is a healthy way to look at it :)
      I appreciate your comments!

      Delete
  4. I impressed by your post. I have been in your shoes. In my case it was a child enjoying a different activity, but ran into some of the same narrow-minded, negative views which were born out of not understanding the activity or not asking intelligent questions. Unfortunately, the knowledge of this activity followed and caused troubles later in life which I consider jealousy as being the root problem. I applaud any young person who finds something worthwhile and loves doing it. Also, parents are to be commended in helping to oversee the many facets of that young person’s participation so it remains something that is safe and beneficial. This is no different than a young person who is accomplished and loves piano, singing or dance or any sport. Just because it’s something that is usually done by adults does not make it wrong for a young person with a love for it and the ability to accomplish it with enjoyment to pursue it. An activity fosters responsibility, attention to detail and mental toughness, especially this type of running, will enhance the quality of a young person’s life. These are traits that will help all along life’s pathway. My hat is off you for your encouragement and love for Colby and I hope that he will enjoy his running and whatever else comes his way.
    Best wishes!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am sorry that have happened to any of us, but knowing we are not alone helps a lot. I agree that his running will foster traits in him that will be so positive in his life as an adult. It is a shame more people don't see that. I really appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  5. Great post, Shawna! Very well said. Ignorance abounds out there and it takes posts like this one to help shed light on issues such as this one. I am truly perplexed by all the negativity that Colby's fabulous accomplishment has garnered. For a child to realize that it is possible to attain his dream, sooner rather than later, is huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I am so glad so many of our ultra family were out there with us! You guys are awesome :)

      Delete
  6. Very well said Shawna. Looking forward to Ultra-Kid Colby's next ultra adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like it will be Silverton, Ed! We'll see the Jester and Mrs. Jester there!

      Delete