There are a lot of challenges out there to keep runners accountable. Thirty day shiggy, daily runs, etc. I am not really interested in following suit on someone else and their challenge. I am giving myself a challenge for this month. Its not about 30 minutes a day or a streak. It is a personal challenge to do better. Honestly, it is a challenge to stay sane while my husband is out of state.
I have found that in recent months my focus has not been on speed, but quantity of miles. I had almost zero training miles in June - August. Seriously. Weekday runs were almost impossible with my kids home.
I ran 8 marathons and 2 ultras (including that amazing 100 journey), but I didn't do any training in-between. The result is that I can run forever, but I have settled into a comfortable pace rather than pushing myself to go faster. Far was my fast.
The Long Beach Marathon is 4 weeks away. Long Beach 2011 is my 26.2 PR at 4:42:39. I haven't come close to that in the 16 marathons I have ran since.
So, there is my challenge for myself.
I will focus on speed AND quantity this month. Push harder. Run faster.
I will run 50 miles each of the next two weeks and then taper some the 2 weeks after. Who knows, I may be starting this too late to really help at Long Beach, but I will know I worked hard going in. I will enjoy the success of sticking to a plan.
I will post my progress and what changes I have made. Care to join in? Comment here and we can support each other! What PR are you working towards?
Great challenge - hit it hard for the next two weeks. It can take 3-4 weeks to see the effects of your training. So, if you focus on speed for 2 weeks and then 2 weeks taper with one more speed session the Wednesday before race day. That should help your fast twitch muscles engage on race day.
ReplyDeleteYou can do it!
I appreciate your support Charlene!
Delete