Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Old Guy Pushes toward 100 (again)



Brady has been on an amazing journey the last year. He ran his first marathon last August just to "check the box". He swore he was one and done. Since that day, he has ran a total of 12 marathons, 2 50 milers, 1 51k, 1 80 miler, and earned a 100 mile buckle at Rocky Road. He has also been a constant support and cheerleader in my crazy journeys.

Brady's knees have bothered him sine he was a young USMC Lance Corporal. His knees ached after even short runs. Last September he went to the doctor to be told "You are old, broken, and your running career is over." That is a lot to take in when you are 36  years old and really just got started endurance running. He ignored the doctor, kept running, and his knees have actually improved to the point that sometimes they are not an issue at all.

Another time he was having other minor pains and I convinced him to go to the doctor to see if he was injured. This time, (Marines rarely see the same doctor twice, so this was a new guy) the doc told him, "I have never, ever, met someone that runs like you. You are not injured, but for relief tips I would ask your running friends. I am sure they know more than I do."

Having heard that Tylenol and Ibuprofen are unsafe during running, Brady asked this last doctor if there as any safe medication when the aches pop up. His response to this is classic as well, "Google it, find something that your athletic body can handle, and come see me for a prescription." Military healthcare at its finest!

Right now Brady is in St. Louis Missouri for work. He has decided to take full advantage of the travel and his jumped at the opportunity for another running experience. As I type this, he is running the Mark Twain 100 on the Berryman Trail in Missouri. He doesn't have the comfort of a crew, running friends on the course, or a familiar trail. This will be his biggest challenge yet.

Pretty amazing for an old, broken, and washed up Marine!


No comments:

Post a Comment